• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Game of the Year fast approaching

The Evangel-Calvary game is still more than a week away, but let's not kid ourselves. It's the Game of the Year as far as Shreveport-Bossier City is concerned. Calvary officials are expecting a huge crowd for their stadium.

As of this week's state rankings, Calvary is No. 2 and Evangel is No.3 in Class 2A. It's likely that the loser of this game will likely be placed in the same playoff bracket as No. 1 John Curtis. Meaning the loser will have to get through John Curtis and then likely get a rematch in the state title.

Calvary added to the rising rivalry last Friday. During the Evangel-Homer game, the Cavaliers (who had an off-week) sat on the Pelicans' side of the field cheering for the home team.

And, it looks like the Cavaliers are drawing more support this season. One coach I talked to this season said he thinks this is Calvary's year to beat the mighty Eagles. If that's the case, I wonder if the Eagles will see a migration of student-athletes eastward toward Calvary.

Coaches may think the Cavs have what it takes, but Calvary doesn't have as many skill players as Evangel does. The Eagles have a ton of athletes all over the field on offense and defense. We'll see how good of a coach Doug Pederson is in two weeks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joel Anderson said...

Brian, I can't wait to experience my first Calvary-Evangel game in eight days.

But I'll say this, I've gotten completely opposite feedback from local coaches.

I had Calvary as the firm favorite in my mind until a pair of coaches recently told me they thought Evangel would prove too tough along the lines for the upstart Cavaliers.

Who really knows? Right now, I'm leaning toward picking Calvary. But those coaches planted a kernel of doubt in my mind.

I'll reconsider my opinion Friday, after I see Calvary play at Springhill.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home