• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Saturday, October 06, 2007

From the Observation Deck at Leonard Barnes...

Well, my first Soul Bowl experience was definitely something to remember.

Though the bands were a little more entertaining than the football teams, it's not everyday that you can watch the city's top two rushers - BTW's Jessie Sheppard and Green Oaks' Lemarien Parson - go at it on the same field.

In fact, the game was definitely a test of wills - who was committed to pounding away between the tackles until someone cried "uncle." Sheppard got the win and outrushed Parson by 46 yards (173 t0 127) though he needed 10 more carries (33 to 23) to do it.

In the end, the Lions simply overwhelmed Green Oaks on both lines and Sheppard was the beneficiary. This was not a matter of one team outscheming the other. BTW coach Demise Loyd said as much after the game: "It's funny ... it's almost like we were all in the same team meetings."

Either way, BTW has won six straight in the Soul Bowl. With Sheppard returning as a senior next year and Parson graduating this spring, you'd have to think the Lions are probably the favorite to win seven in a row.

Elsewhere:
- Haughton continues to confound me. The Bucs hold Parkway's Torian Lindsey to 39 yards and no touchdowns and still lose? I just can't figure them out. And true to my word, if anyone at Parkway has a helmet and jersey to spare, I'll wear it for this week's edition of PrepsBeat Pregame . Better get it to me quick, though. We shoot on Tuesday.

- Since Evangel fans think I don't show them any love, congrats on the 31-0 victory over North Caddo. It's not quite enough to convince me to move the Eagles ahead of Calvary in the 2A poll but, hey, I'm open to the possibility over the coming weeks.

- Who saw Southwood winning in a rout against Airline? Yeah, I thought so. Congrats on the Cowboys finally getting a "W."

- Oh yeah, I had to mention Huntington's big victory over previously undefeated Captain Shreve. That was huge. Looks like the Raiders will be playoff-bound, barring some late-season collapse. And, to me, it's enough to move them into my Top 10 ballot for 5A.

- Down South note: Not that the Mannings need any more love in Louisiana, but Isidore Newman High retired the No. 18 jersey worn by brothers Cooper, Peyton and Eli last night. Newman honored the occasion by routing Southern Lab 38-6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home