• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Saturday, September 29, 2007

From the Observation Deck at Lee Hedges...

Ranked No. 6 in Class 5A a few weeks ago, Ruston could be worse than anyone could have expected.

I watched the Bearcats flail around on offense for the better part of three quarters against Byrd tonight - they had four first downs and just a bit over 100 yards. They weren't much better on defense, virtually allowing the Yellow Jackets to do whatever they wanted on the ground - Brittain White, for only 180 pounds, is a really tough between-the-tackles runner.

When Byrd took a 35-7 lead and starting inserting backups in the fourth quarter, Ruston made up a little ground with backup quarterback Ross Garbarino. Starter Nick Rome, a junior transfer from Calvary, watched the rest of the game from the sidelines.

Ruston coach Billy Laird hinted that Rome and Garbarino could be competing for the starting spot again in the coming week at practice. But, of course, the Bearcats have problems that go far beyond who's taking the snaps.

It's just hard to believe the Bearcats have fallen this far, this fast.

Other nuggets:
- To gloat a little bit, I was the only Times' staffer to pick UCP over Grambling and Plain Dealing over Arcadia. Apparently, I have some sort of gift for picking 1A football.
- Then again, the game I picked wrong this weekend, was the one I actually covered: Byrd-Ruston.
- On my Top 10 ballot this week, I think I'm going to swap out the No. 1 choice in 2A. It's something I've been thinking about for a week or so. Tonight's result cinched my decision.
- Wow. How troubled are those Vikings of Airline? I'm not picking them in any game for the rest of the season.
- On a lighter note, it's good to see how resilient those kids at Huntington are. Geez. Three straight wins. In retrospect, the LHSAA's decision to allow them to compete for postseason play could be huge now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home