• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Friday, November 09, 2007

Huntington hits the road

Somewhere in south Louisiana, Huntington's football team is on a bus, closing in on their first-round playoff destination of Boutte, La.

The Raiders will meet Hahnville, a Class 5A power and one of the state's top-ranked teams, for their first postseason appearance in four years and ninth in the past 37. From the outset, this looks like a mismatch for Huntington, especially when factoring in the almost nine-hour bus ride from Shreveport.

But it's been unwise to pick against the Raiders all season, as I've found out on more than a few occasions. The obstacles facing Huntington have been recounted numerous times, most recently in this story that ran Tuesday's newspaper.

Point is, I wish the Raiders well and, though I'm not really supposed to root for teams, I do hold a special place in my heart for this resilient bunch of kids and coaches. I had initially planned to travel with them on their charter bus and document the trip and the game for a longer, more in-depth piece the next week. Unfortunately time and health issues (namely, I got sick Wednesday) prevented that from happening. Thanks to Coach Foppe for the invite, though.

Maybe they'll be back in town next weekend to host a game.

I wouldn't bet against them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home