• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Friday, November 09, 2007

Breaking Down The Ballot, Week 9

So, thanks to a recent post from my editor Scott Ferrell, I realized that I'm an idiot (some of you have already suggested that you've already known this).

On the front of our sports section Wednesday, I broke down the five LHSAA playoff brackets and picked the team that I figured would emerge as the champion in each class.Well, silly me, I picked all of the No. 1 teams as my eventual titlists. History, in almost sport or endeavor, shows that rarely do the favorites always win out. I should have mixed it up, if only to satisfy my contrarian streak.

Oh well. I'm just a lemming.Anyway, here's the last edition of the "Breaking Down the Ballot." Enjoy.

Class 5A
1. West Monroe 2. Destrehan 3. St. Thomas More 4. Catholic-BR 5. Sulphur 6. Hahnville 7. Byrd 8. H.L. Bourgeois 9. Rummel 10. Carencro.
Comments: Notwithstading that scare in Shreveport last week, West Monroe is the state's clear top team. That said, the Rebels could face defending champ Acadiana in the second round. Like I said earlier, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." ... I've said all season Byrd was the city's best team. Maybe the Yellow Jackets will go out and prove it Friday by getting a bit of revenge against Captain Shreve.

Class 4A
1. Bastrop 2. Shaw 3. Teurlings 4. Franklinton 5. Eunice 6. Benton 7. Northside 8. Vandebilt Catholic 9. Zachary 10. Parkway.
Comments: So, Benton went out and proved - without a doubt - that it's the best Class 4A team in northwest Louisiana. That's no shot at Parkway but the Tigers asserted themselves like I thought they would. Still left on their to-do list: knock off Haughton, if given the chance, in the second round of the playoffs.

Class 3A
1. Notre Dame 2. Parkview Baptist 3. Westlake 4. Redemptorist 5. Lutcher 6. Rayville 7. Marksville 8. Cecilia 9. Rayne 10. Amite.
Comments: Not much to say here locally, as usual. Cecilia had better be good, though. BTW has an awesome offense.

Class 2A
1. Calvary Baptist 2. St. James 3. John Curtis 4. Evangel 5. Donaldsonville 6. Oakdale 7. Ferriday 8. Clinton 9. St. John-Plaquemine 10. Springhill.
Comments: Not to gloat too much but this is what I said in this space on Oct. 2: "I truly believe the Cavs could be the best team in 2A. As of today, at least, they are to me." So, guess I was right. Then again, I did pick Evangel to win the day before the game. Sheesh. I can't win for losing.

Class 1A
1. Cedar Creek 2. Hamilton Christian 3. South Plaquemines 4. Delhi Charter 5. Kentwood 6. Catholic-PC 7. Haynesville 8. Ouachita Christian 9. Oak Grove 10. Central Catholic.
Comments: Haynesville simply isn't getting it much-deserved props. The Golden Tornado will just have to go out and earn them over the next few weeks. I really think they're underrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home