• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Friday, May 11, 2007

Memo from Monroe

Musings from Monroe and the Class 4A baseball title game.

1) This is why I hate the LHSAA's baseball playoff system. The best team in 4A all year was Captain Shreve. Yet in the one-and-done world of the LHSAA,it doesn't matter. Shreve is a 7-0 loser and runner-up to Zachary.

Yes, the same Zachary the Gators beat THREE TIMES during the regular season.

It's not just Shreve. Barbe is nationally ranked in USA Today. But one cold day at the plate and the Bucs are going home as well.

Have I mentioned what a joke this playoff system is?

2) I realize I'm getting old, but some of the Zachary in-game celebrations were a little over the top.

I realize the Broncos were playing, as pitcher Zack Von Rosenberg put it, with "a chip on their shoulder'' after having lost three times to Shreve. And I don't mind being excited after home runs and good plays.

But when the home plate umpire is having to get the team back in the dugout after a simple run is being scored, something is wrong.

"There's a right way of playing the game and a wrong a way,'' Shreve coach Ronnie Coker said. "I think we play the right way.''

Read into that what you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home